before you install WordPress you need the following —
- a domain name
- a hosting account
- the latest version of WordPress (download here)
prep the files
once downloaded, double click on the WordPress file to unzip it. you’ll need to edit one of the files before adding them to your hosting account.
- rename the file wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php
- open the wp-config.php file in a text editor (like TextEdit on a mac)
- update the file with the database settings you created when prepping your hosting account
- database_name_here will be replaced by your new database name
- username_here will be replaced by your database username
- password_here will be replaced by the password you set
- visit this link to get new unique phrases (for security) + paste them in place on lines 49-56 (previewed below)
- save your changes
define('AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('NONCE_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('AUTH_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('SECURE_AUTH_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('NONCE_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');
once you have saved your wp-config.php file, you’ll need to connect to your hosting account via FTP to upload WordPress to your server.
find the directory (or folder) you created for your domain. this folder is where you want to upload the contents of the wordpress folder.
open that folder on your computer so that you see the files like wp-config.php, wp-contents folder, etc + select all of the items. then drag those items into the directory in FileZilla to begin the upload process.
the upload process can take a bit of time, but once it is complete, go to your domain in your browser to finish the installation of WordPress.
when you go to your URL after the upload has finished, you will be instructed to select your primary language + then click “continue” to proceed.
fill out the welcome screen with your information + settings for your new website.
after you click “install WordPress” you’ll be able to log in with the username + password you just set. that’s it!
congratulations on installing your very first instance of WordPress!